12 August 2012

A Day at the Museum(s)

Today I ventured to The Kimbell and to The Modern in Fort Worth. I have not been in a long time. No special exhibit at The Kimbell but that also meant no crowds. No crowds mean space and time to really view the art. I noticed many pieces I had normally just quick-glaced at before and was able (and inspired) to stop and really take the painting/artwork in. Also, luckily, in the permanent exhibits, photos (sans flash) are allowed. I love that policy. =)

Here are some photos of paintings and sculpture at The Kimbell:

This is a detail of a larger painting:

I have always loved this bust of a woman's head. It also reminds me of one of my closest/dearest friends:






After The Kimbell, We (my boyfriend, Don, and I) went across the street to The Modern. I am not a huge fan of what is identified as "modern art" but I do have an appreciation for some of it and, even if I don't necessarily "like" the art, I am open enough to give it a "chance." I hope this makes sense.

Anyway, the special exhibit is "Lucian Freud" - whose portraits were amazingly "real." Lots of drama, age, "normalcy" as far as life goes. I remember seeing his work for the first time about 20 years ago. I saw one particular painting of a nude sleeping couple and my impression from it when I first saw it 20 years ago was completely DIFFERENT than when I got the opportunity to view it today. Before I thought it was ugly (as in the emotions I experienced) but today - I felt "peaceful" and "comfort." That realization was suprising.

I was not able to photograph anything in the Freud exhibit but I was able to photograph some of the permanent pieces. I am only posting one here though as the rest didn't really capture the emotions I was wanting to capture.

This one is of a large glass sphere and the lighting was placed just so to create a great "square" shadow. I have become a fan of shadows lately.



There was one shot (the focus isn' that great but I had to get the photo quickly before the person moved). I think the shot perfectly describes what I see in many "modern" art endeavors - the pieces I just dont "get."
I call this: A Portrait of the Soul in Torment IV

1 comment: